A few days ago I finally received my SolidRun Cubox. I guess within the next weeks I will write the odd post about my experience with it. So this is likely to be the start of a new series.
Lets start with my setup and plans.
I want to use the CuBox as a media center to play movies and music over my AVR and TV. Nothing more.
To make this a pleasant experience I got myself the following additional things:
- a USB cable from microUSB to plainUSB to serve as a serial connection between my MBA and the CuBox. Read here how to setup the serial connection
- a devolo dLAN 200 AVmini starter kit to avoid a new cable and to not block the wifi
- a Sharkoon QuickStore Portable Pro 1TB USB hardrive as additional media storage
- a Samsung SE-406 DVD/BD optical drive for occasionally ripping CDs, DVDs or BDs
- a Logitech Harmony One+ remote control to replace the multitude of remotes and eventually control the XBMC as well
- a Lenovo N9502 multimedia remote as a fallback when browsing the internet or playing youtube videos and you need a keyboard
Before going anywhere with this I installed the precompiled XBMC taken from the SolidRun wiki.
I think I got myself a new hobby.