Things to look out for in the perfect boss
There are many important things to consider when choosing a job. The work itself, chances to be successful, a certain level of freedom, your colleagues and a whole lot more.
One more thing to look out for is a great boss.
I’ve had quite a number of quite different bosses over the past 12 years. Starting with myself which wasn’t the best experience as I was apparently unable to discipline myself.
I’ve had absolute failures and I had exceptionally qualified experts, friends and foes, some caring about their team other caring about themselves, bosses listening to you and bosses listening to anybody else.
But I’m not talking about a good boss or even the best but about the perfect boss. I reckon the definition is quite personal and individual.
For me it is something like this:
- The perfect boss got a vision that I can be part of that I can share and even influence and that convinces and assures me whenever I was going for something different.
- The perfect boss is someone that I respect both functional and personal, who knows a great deal of my work and appreciates what I have to offer.
- The perfect boss leaves a lot of space for me to experiment and act like I think is right.
- The perfect boss allows me to learn without feeling stupid.
- The perfect boss is pushing and demanding a lot without exploiting me.
- The perfect boss makes me feel special but doesn’t pamper me.
- The perfect boss is always accepted as a superior without ever acting it out on you but instead facing you on eye level.
- The perfect boss can be trusted at all times no doubt whatsoever.
- The perfect boss is someone you can only describe once you were lucky enough to meet him.
I did meet my perfect boss and chances are we will split ways at some point. The very idea saddens me and yet makes me proud to have had the chance of this experience. I can only explain my deep gratefulness and hope that it will last for long and then there will be another chance to get working together again.
The perfect boss is a dear friend.